Saturday 24 September 2022

Dream Hard

It is important to keep a notebook of your ideas.
In my case that might be little jokes or plot devices, some song or soundtrack ideas.
Sadly, that means I've got thousands of notes.
I got pretty good at recording them.

Some of your best ideas will come when you're asleep  - for free and without effort. Record the idea quickly on waking and hope it is coherent  or legible when you revisit it and, who knows, Poindexter, you may have something.

Last night I had a perfect way to end a story – it was a song or two songs, so easy to forget if you don't make a note at the time.
So I awoke and scribbled them down.

Looking back it was a bit unusual as I am just as likely to record a vocal note in a blurry voice.
But my pen – it illuminates so that I don't have to turn on the bedside light, (or at least Alexa doesn't have to) - was the chosen weapon on this occasion.

Remembering this in the morning, I went to check my notes.
Nothing.
Nothing had been written.

I couldn't remember the crucial songs that would give my story such finishing punch.
The record had been expunged.

Then I realised I'd been pistol-whipped by my own psyche.

I'd only dreamed writing my dreams down.
I'd awoken ... in my dream, carefully documented the dream ...in my dream , and I went back to sleep ....in my dream.

It is tough to stay ahead when your brain is treating you as though you're in a sequel to Inception.

No comments: