Thursday 20 January 2011

Accentuate the...Eliminate the...

What drives you?
I'm quite driven by the possibility of negative things happening.
Do you think that's wrong?
Do you think that is pessimistic?
Fear (for want of a better word) of bad things happening, rather than a positive motivation like running towards potential fun and excitement.

For example, if one in 200 people at my age gets a fatal bone cancer and dies within six months, should that shake me up, make me change my life? Or should I just gulp a gulp, shed a crocodile tear to reassure myself I am a human sensitive (or a sensitive human), shake it off, forget it and go out to work and get pissed at the weekend as usual?

Should this dark pessimism propel you?
I think it should.
And I'll bet I am in the minority.
Those who assume that I am being negative and looking on the black side are implying I am a fatalist.
It's a short trip from there to loser.
And I am neither.
So if you answered yes to my claims of pessimism, I will tell you why could not be more wrong.
And worse, why you may be the very creatures of whom you disapprove. Sorry, who you disapprove of.

Let’s soften it.

Let’s not call it a shake up.
Let’s not call it a fork in the road. Let’s call it a gentle bend.
Let’s change the word “fear” to oh, let’s say, “motivating factor”?

Bad things happen to good people.
Shed your tear, sure, but say to yourself: That could have been me. That might be me tomorrow.
Living with no regrets is one of the most motivating forces you can find.
It renews your drive and it forces you to count your blessings.
You have an attitude of gratitude.
You take nothing for granted because you have access to your inventory of everything you are grateful for. (Not grateful to anything supernatural, I would urge. Nobody needs worshipping for your good fortune).
Keep your treasures close, like a list of negatives and positives – you know the sort a girl might makes when she is deciding whether to dump her boyfriend.

When you have this access at your fingertips and you inevitably tire or have a bad day, you have a rich stream of resource pre-lined up.
Pick one and do something positive.
For yourself or even better, for others.
For someone you like. Or even better, someone you hate.
Do. Something.

Call these people what you like.

I like losers like us.

No comments: